FEW – Walls – Part 1

When it comes to terrain and scenery I have literally started from the ground up. I had nothing scenery-wise in my collection and the more I wanted to play games the more it was apparent I would need some!  So, after starting with some easy rock formations, here, I moved on to the next part of dressing a table quickly and cheaply.

An incredibly common feature on all gaming boards are walls. Whether they are futuristic, dry stone, brick or ‘other’ they are needed to break up the landscape and offer a more visually appealing board to game over. But you all know this already!

Anyway, this step-by-step came about because I ordered 10mm blue foam on the cheap (search eBay for under floor heating foam or similar) and thought ‘that’s how wide walls would be at this scale’… so I chopped some up!

1. I cut some strips of foam that are 30mm tall by about 200mm. Most of the games I play have a ‘less than an inch, hop straight over’ rule. And I will do some inch tall stuff but I wanted these to be actual obstacles so these are technically slightly taller than an inch.


2. I then attacked it with a ball point pen! I drew in the rough shapes of the stones then did another pass and varied the pressure to bring a bit more texture to the wall.


3. I then cut some 3mm foamboard into a rough shape for a base. I know a lot of folks leave them blank and self-supporting but my personal preference is to base in this way. I then drilled some holes are chopped one pointy end off cocktail sticks and pushed them into the holes. This will be for a) rigidity and b) ease of mounting.


4. I pushed the foam wall on to the cocktail sticks gently until it was about 10mm from the base, then I ran a bead of PVA glue down the length.


5. And that’s where we are at… glue drying and I’ve trimmed the end of the cocktail sticks back. I’m not that worried about seeing the trimmed ends slightly at this point… I’ll be adding filler and PVA etc to cover everything and enhance rigidity. You’ll notice that the wall split slightly but again a couple of inches from the left end but this will all be covered over. I added a couple of pieces of ‘planking’ to give the illusion of it being a bit ramshackle etc.


Altogether this took about 15/20 minutes to build, the longest part was drawing in all of the bricks. This will just be a tester to see how building walls in this way turns out. If it’s successful I’ll ramp up production! Next steps are applying the filler and PVA mix, sanding and debris on the base, under coating and finally paint and flocking!

Keep an eye out for Part 2 soon.

Thanks all, keep your paints thin and your brushes pointy!




Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s